South Africa & Singapore




The grand plan was to avoid simultaneously fighting any jet lag and altitude sickness, which meant figuring out how to be done with the jet lag before we started to hike this week. 
This led me to a misguided attempt of getting up pretty damn early on Monday to hopefully be tired enough for our lunch time flight to sleep most of the way to Singapore. That would make the early morning arrival feel right on time, leading to a day touring the city then another flight to Kathmandu, a good night of sleep and I would hit the ground Running up that Hill (hit play on the superb sound of Placebo’s aptly named Kate Bush cover) . 
As is often the case, the plan was good, but the execution flawed! I hit Kathmandu late yesterday after 38 hours without sleep. Despite that slog I feel pretty good today, though it might explain the slightly ghostly sense of time I have as I reflect back on the past two weeks. The sense of how long we have been away from the UK is warped: only two weeks, yet a distant past already. Yet also still my present as I take care of the odd thing, and my future as I know this period of travel is a circle.
Back in reality, I honestly do not have much to tell. The time has been good, all of it. I think it does not matter how old you are, but going to your parents always feels like going home in some sense, even if you never lived in the house they live in now. 
I took the following images while I was in Pietermaritzburg which I quite like.



The time in Kruger Park was super chilled and we took a small mountain of photographs, mostly Ugne clicking away as I was driving. We also visited an elephant sanctuary and greatly enjoyed the opportunity to get up close to elephants.
The elephant image at the top of this page is my favourite image – taken by Ugne on what appeared to be a flat, grey day and yet revealing some lovely colours after some play in Lightroom.





I also tried my hand at my first starscape timelapse, but ran out of patience shooting the frames, so I hope that better versions of this are yet to come.




Rolling forward to Singapore, we wandered the city for the day and visited their amazing gardens. Not a lot of images to show you, though I did think the giant outdoor ceiling fans, powered by solar, were kind of neat and very necessary in the otherwise windless and stifling heat.






That's it for the time being. Tomorrow we head into the Langtang Valley for a 13 day hike, and I hope to return with an image or two to share with you.

Comments