2016 - back on the road to 8a

For a while now I've felt like I needed to start writing again, but have procrastinated at sitting down and gathering my thoughts. Admittedly, I've had a fair bit on this year between my massage training, moving home and organising the wedding, all whilst still trying to keep up with the 'basics' of my climbing training, iRacing and of course keeping to the grind that pays the bills.

I plan to write about my climbing and training on a semi-regular basis, so a recap is in order (and won't take very much time at all). I spent almost all of 2015 fighting injuries. An impingement had my shoulder so unstable I couldn't do push up for most of the first half of the year, then no sooner had I started to regain a bit of strength than I dislocated my ankle jumping off a high ball in Fontainebleau in August. That took forever to repair. The ankle is pretty shot after so many injuries over the years and still causes me pain in a variety of movements, yet for the most part is now good enough to not impact my climbing.

Unsurprisingly, I entered 2016 not very fit and fairly far down the motivation curve necessary to get into a decent training regime. I'd been thinking a lot about the value of being around folk that would support my goals (more on that topic in another post). In short, in January I enlisted the help of Jon from Onsight Coaching to help with a training programme, and more importantly work with me on a weekly basis in order to get my work ethic back up to a level where I'd make gains.Again, I should write more about Jon, but will keep that for a later post, but suffice it to say he knows his stuff and if you're looking to get your climbing to a new level he can help! Working him has been just the ticket, so good to have someone to share the thinking/planning load and to push me a little when self-discipline wanes.

And so this year has been about training, training, training. Laps on the White Spider boulder problems until I'm bored to tears and count the days until new problems are set. Laps on the wooden circuit, which is humbling and exhausting. Finger board sessions, eaking out small gains. Guilty feelings for not getting in an extra core or antagonistic session in the week. It's felt good to work hard again.

And the results are starting to come through - I'm climbing better, holding on longer, I'm fitter earlier in the season than ever before. There's still some road ahead to get to 8a, but for sure the ride is fun again and that is what I most wanted to regain. 

Comments