Ready to Start


On Friday, 27th June, I packed up my office desk, said good-bye to work for six months and embarked on a six month career break with a simple goal in mind: to climb as much as possible, to find a new level in my climbing, to strive to red point 8a!

Those of you who have followed my blog for a while will recall I had a heavy motorbike accident at the end of 2013, which left me uninjured but pretty shaken and surprisingly weak for a month or so. Then, I over extended my training from a not-so-fit place resulting in a bicep tendon injury that rendered me unable to train meaningfully for another 8 weeks. Thus, it was only in April or so that I could start training towards my goal.

First up was getting some power back as I was heading to Magic Wood in July. I’ve always felt that finger strength is a weak point compared to my back and core, and have never followed a structured finger boarding programme for an extended period. I adopted Chris Webb Parsons programme and managed to fit in a solid 10-week cycle before travelling to Switzerland, doing two sessions a week.

That made a significant impact on my climbing, where I have gone from feeling like I was a sometimes 7A boulderer to feeling like I can do most 7As in one or two goes, and definitely surprising myself with what I could do in Magic Wood.  On the down-side, by the end of 10 weeks my finger joints were definitely feeling the strain and I was hot-cold treating my hands most nights to try to reduce inflammation and speed recovery. They felt fine again about 10 days after completing the programme, but if you plan to complete a programme like this I suggest monitoring yourself closely and taking appropriate breaks or I suspect it will end in tears.

Next up on the training regime was getting together a programme to build the endurance I will need to climb 8a. For this I turned to a training programme developed by Andre Hedger as most of my knowledge is focussed on building power. We met at a climbing gym where we spent a couple of hours talking about my goals, looking at training methods and working through my current climbing strengths. Andre’s hands-on coaching is fantastic: eagle-eyed attention to technique, encouraging and constantly evaluating how hard his students should work to make gains.

Along with a fully developed training plan, one of the most useful things for me was getting a sense of the intensity and volume of work I need in my training sessions in order to get to the kind of level to which I aspire. I’ve got that from watching Andre and Adrian Baxter train – the intensity and focus with which they tackle each training session is really inspiring. I have a long road ahead of me to reach a fraction of their ability and strength, but for now all I’m going to do is think about their training effort every time I fall off ... and get back on and try to do a few more moves.

I’ll do my best to chronicle my climbing journey over the coming months... hopefully I will get a post out in the next couple of days about my trip to Magic Wood. Check out a short video of my Magic Wood and Fontainebleau trip.

Comments