Life skills

It was a busy day at the office today. Between 8am and 9.30pm I spent about 4 hours in meetings and the rest of the time at my desk.

Desk time was spent reading north of 120 emails, writing over 80 emails and editing an eighteen page slide deck.

It struck me that it is a good thing I can touch type! But how is it that I learnt this skill?

Well, as a 10 or 11 year old I used to spend hours of my school holidays with my brother in front of a PC  playing computer games. Somewhere along the line a typing tutor programme was installed (it would have come on a floppy disk). My brother and I started the "who can type faster game." Sibling rivalry reared it's head and soon we were chasing each other at 30 words a minute, then 50 and before long peaking at 70!

Who knew we were teaching ourselves a life skill?

So it would seem that a lioness brings home a gazelle for the young ones to learn how to hunt, while mothers bring home a computer! It's all a game. The work game isn't always fun though.

Comments