Portland

Saturday was a beautiful day and I was fortunate to be able to escape the city and head to Portland for a day of route climbing. A shortage of partners and an abundance of rain have meant that my outdoor season has been much compromised and this was only my 3rd day of routes this season.

A friend pointed me at Portland Heights . At 7a it is a grade I should climb comfortably. However, it plays to most of my weaknesses – sustained, thin with a technical crux. Fairly sparse bolting also adds a bit of spice, especially for a mostly boulderer who hasn’t been up high for a while!

In the end though, the route showed how far my climbing has come in the last year. There was a smoothness and agility to my movement on rock which never was before, a quietness of mind and a confidence in the moves which was intensely satisfying. As it happens, I only had time for one red point attempt and fell when a misplaced left foot popped as I reached from the last difficult hold to a jug. It really doesn’t matter. I had one of my best days out ever.

Comments